X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your favorite anime series or movie that's now on Netflix?

My kids have just started watching the 80's anime that has been released on Netflix. I'm amazed that they love it so much they barely blink when watching. I've been an anime fan for so long but when I got married and had kids, I haven't had any extra time to watch anime or read a manga anymore. My husband is also a fan of anime, too and he's been watching again the ones he loved while growing up when we got married. Thanks to Netflix, our kids have been introduced to the world of anime early on and I’m happy it’s more accessible for them now. My daughter has watched Totoro 3 times now and in the next few days will be watching it again several times for sure. I think it’s a little early for them to watch Fruits Basket but later on I’ll watch it again with them. I’m making sure they’re watching something that’s age appropriate and would pique their interest. What other popular anime series should Netflix release this year?
    Attached Files

Hi Satsukimei, I can see you are big fun of totoro from your user name. haha.
    I am glad to hear that your kids liked to watching Totoro, I also enjoyed to watching totoro long time ago.
    In Tokyo, there is GHIBLI MUSEUM. so if you have chance to visit Japan, please visit there, I am sure you like it.
    What is Fruit basket? Is it also animation?
    I never heard it.

Comment

Hey Yoshi! Fruits Basket is an anime series. You can check it out on Netflix. I've watched the anime and also read the manga, like the actual paperback comic book some years ago. It's a story of an orphaned girl who befriended a family with their members possessed by the animals of the Chinese zodiac. It has 26 episodes and was released in 2001. It's one of my favorites.

I've heard of the Ghibli Museum and I'd love to visit it with my kids someday. It would be such a treat to them. They watched it again today, by the way, and I watched it with them for a short time. The characters are so adorable. Do you have other Studio Ghibli movies to recommend? Thanks!

Comment

Hi satsukimei! Thank you for your reply
        Ok, Fruits Basket sounds interesting, I should check Netflix, released 2001!? sort of long time ago.
        To be honest, I am not big manga and anime fun, I think that's why I didn't know.

I think, your kids like "Kiki's Delivery Service( Majo no Takkyubuin)"
        this anime is also Ghibli one, and popular!
        Enjoy!

Comment

Hi Yoshi! Yes, my daughter loved Kiki's Delivery Service and I think she already saw it twice or thrice. I watched like the first 20 minutes of it with her and it's such a cute and fun story. But she still loves Totoro and watches it everyday. She watched it again today and hums along with the music of the credits in the beginning. She also kinda liked Little Witch Academia and Castle In The Sky and watched with her elder brother but not much of a fan compared to Totoro. The Studio Ghibli movies are really awesome! How the creators melded the reality and fantasy elements of the story was just brilliant. That cat bus walking on the electricity lines was eye-popping. I saw that part only today when I ended up watching the ending where Mei ran away to go to the hospital and visit her mom and Satsuki was all over the place looking for her. My husband also approves of them watching it. Even if Netflix categorizes movies and series as kid friendly, we still filter what they watch because there really are movies and animes that have scripts and plots that aren't acceptable to us.

And yes, please watch Fruits Basket. It can only be viewed through an adult account so I'm not letting my kids watch that yet.

Thanks!

Comment

Totoro! Totoro is still one of the best animes for me. Death Note's being shown on Netflix before but they already removed it as well as Naruto. Maybe they'll return it again after some time. But right now, I'm already contented with the animes from Studio Ghibli. I haven't browsed all the new shows on Netflix yet but I would really love it if I can see Spirited Away again one last time and hope it's on Netflix. I don't want to watch it via streaming services anymore or even download it. Everything that I want to watch now, I just wait for them to appear on Netflix.

Comment

I don't think it's on Netflix, but I recently watched "The Night is Short, Walk on Girl" and it was very charming with a unique and pleasant animation style.

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGHXqjCbyEQ

Comment

Totoro is considered a classic for me. Fruits Basket is one of my shoo favourites. But if you guys want to try new ones, I can recommend: No game, No Life, Yona of the Dawn, Seven Deadly Sins, Haikyuu, Kakegurui etc., or the usual My hero academy

Comment

Hi guys! Thanks for the suggestions. I was an anime fan (and some kinda an otaku) when I was younger and either I streamed the ones I've been following on Crunchyroll or that other site (I forgot what it was and I think it's no longer existing). I also sometimes download entire anime series like Samurai X, Itazura na kiss, Lovely Complex, Special A and etc. I even watched Hikaru no go and Prince of Tennis. One of my favorites was Kimi no todoke and I also read it's manga. But I barely have time these days to watch anime because adulting is life. I do try to watch anything my husband (who also watches anime) is on. And thanks to Netflix, my kids are also watching anime but not quite yet. Totoro is a good start. Koohler, I'd definitely try to watch "The Night is Short, Walk on Girl" because if it's something my kids would like, I'll let them watch it. Sololevellingirl, I'll try to find the titles you mentioned if there's some more time I can spare. Still thanks for giving me an idea what's trending perhaps now.

Comment

satsukimei I also recommend some of the movies by Mamoru Hosoda. Namely Bakemono No Ko and Mirai No Mirai. Both should also be popular with your kids. I haven't seen Kimi No Nawa but it was very popular when it came out. I think it passed Spirited Away as the highest-grossing anime film.

Comment

SpaceManatee : I had a colleague who was crazy about Kimi No Nawa and just posted random stuff about it in Facebook. I think I've watched it already (after a couple of operations, I've become quite forgetful ). I'll check on your suggestions and see if I can find a copy of those if they are not on Netflix. My kids are still in preschool by the way, that's why my daughter likes Totoro because of the giant rabbit himself and Mei. I think it's because she can relate to Mei that's why she likes that movie. Thanks!

Comment

Yeah, I remember hearing so much about it from people. I believe that the director just released another movie last year. I'm not sure if the other ones I mentioned would be great for a preschooler, though. I wasn't sure of their age. Mirai no Mirai should be okay, but maybe not Bakemono No Ko.

Comment

Working...
                        X