X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should a foreigner expect when marrying a Japanese?

This is for a friend who's going to marry a Japanese. The Japanese man's family is very traditional and my friend only met them once. She said she could feel that they genuinely like her but she's also worried that she may not be able to meet up to their expectations because apart from her liberal upbringing, she has never been acquainted to a strict or rigid environment. Do you know of anyone who went through the same dilemma? I want to assure her that she'd be able to learn somehow and she's going to be okay... But I couldn't just say that knowing that she'd be in for a rough transitioning. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

I think if the family is open minded and kind and genuinely likes her then she shouldn't be worried as long as she tries to learn about the Japanese language and culture.

But if the family is traditional, then she has to probably be a good cook, take care of the house well, prioritize being a housewife more than her career and at some cases even live with her parents in law and take care of them when they are older. I'm not saying it is going to be like this but this happens often in Japan. Japan is still a very sexist county compared to western countries. She needs to understand that a Japanese family will want her to give her full support to her husband so he can do well at work. She will have to fit in and play this role as a wife and a mother one day.
    Again, I don't know how the family is like and some family are getting more modern not being to sexist nowadays. So, her marriage and her relationship with her parents in law can always workout just fine. But she should know she needs to make an effort to understand their culture and if she wants to get accepted by her parents in law, she may have to sometimes sacrifice something she wants to do for something they want her to do.

Comment

Working...
    X