X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnancy, Giving Birth and Motherhood in Japan

Most countries provide a longer time for moms to rest after giving birth and also provide financial assistance to them. I've seen a video about a day in the life of a Japanese mom with a less than a year old daughter who lives in an average home with a husband who works at a restaurant. She mentioned how much she spent to deliver the baby and other expenses. To me it seemed like it was quite expensive so I'm just wondering how low income earning families or women survive and are able to give birth despite the financial demands. Does the government provide some sort of assistance to them and their families? Are they able to take some time off especially those who are working in private companies and government offices? Is there also time off that fathers are able to take advantage off right after their wives give birth?

Yes, you right MisakiChan. According to the article, I read, the expected fee to give birth is about 500,000yen to 700,000. It's so expensive because that fee only counts for the hospital fee. That is the huge reason explained for the low birth rate in Japan :'<

Comment

Yes, it translates to low birth rate for sure, Thanh Binh! It's more like a luxury to start a family and it's really sad because some generations won't have enough manpower to work and provide services because by such time, people are aging but there's no one to replace them in the workforce. Although I agree that getting pregnant should be regulated at some point, hence, the contraception methods available, I still think that women are provided with ample benefits if pregnant and up until the first few months of motherhood. I envy those countries in the west who value their mothers so much that some even have a year's worth of maternity break just to adjust in to motherhood properly. Their governments even send out care packages that includes the babies needs.

Comment

While pregnancy and childbirth is a universal experience, having a baby in another culture can be full of surprises. Just ask any foreign woman who has given birth in Japan. Maternal and infant mortality rates are among the lowest in the world, making Japan one of the safest places to have a baby

Comment

taylor That's great to hear! Sometimes it doesn't matter that it's expensive as long as you're guaranteed that you're in good ang capable hands. The baby and mom should always be top priority.

Comment

Working...
          X