X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mascot characters

One of the things that I love about Japan is the mascot characters. They have one for just about anything, from businesses and emergency services to local areas. Most of them are cute, but some of them are a little strange! You can see them at festivals and other events if you're lucky, and they'll always be prepared with a pose so you can have your photo taken with them!
    I wanted to share some of the ones I've met with everyone, so I've got some photos to share. They are all mascots from Sendai and I saw them at a festival. I didn't want a photo with them, but I managed to catch a pose or two anyway!
    The first one is actually the mascot of a covered shopping arcade. He has a name, something like Vlandome Emodna IV.
    The second one is Sendai's main mascot, Musubi-maru. Musubi is another word for onigiri, rice ball, which is what his head is! He's wearing the helmet of Date Masamune, who was the local lord of Sendai back during the Warring Period (Sengoku Jidai)
    The last one also has a version of the helmet on, but he's a firefighter because he's their mascot!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_6761.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	809 Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_6764.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	810 Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_6763.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	811

I really liked Musubi-maru, but maybe I'm biased! I know that there are a lot more famous mascots out there. Do you have a favorite one?
    I'll probably upload some more photos some time of some of the stranger mascots I saw.

Woah, these are crazy! That rice ball has a sword and everything. Can you imagine being dressed up in that thing? Can they even see? Must be hot in there, too. You don't really see those things in other countries outside of sports mascots. Do they have those in Japan, too? (I'd guess so, if they have them for everything...)

I quite like the clock, though, it reminds me of Disney Beauty and the Beast, ha ha. I guess that's my favourite out of those.

The weirdest one I've seen is like a young Buddha with antlers, from Nara or somewhere. Don't know what its name is or anything. That's a little odd for me, although maybe not any odder than a walking rice ball!

Comment

One of the things that I would like to experience is to wear a mascot costume in Japan. I know that it's a bit childish of me but hey! I really want to try it at least once! I can imagine myself holding balloons and giving it to the kids in an amusement park and taking photos with them. Joining a parade of mascots, dancing with mascots, and doing just about anything while wearing a mascot costume. :P Of course If I had to choose, I'd like to wear a Gundam Mascot Costume. I'm sure that it would be an experience that I will never forget!

Comment

Yes, FoodieSam , those costumes get very hot, especially in summer! But Louie, you should be fine in one at a different time of year, even if the eye holes aren't great - every mascot that I've seen walking around has a sort of guide to show them where to go and which direction to pose in for the camera! I hope you've got some good Gundam poses ready if you're going to wear that!

I found my "weird mascot" photos. These two both happen to be an animal combined with food (which makes me think of Pokémon, but anyway...). You've got a dog-melon from Hokkaido in the right of the first photo, and below, the penguin with an octopus hat (actually, they're both animals, but octopus is also food). I can't remember where the penguin was from, unfortunately.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1816.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	871

Comment

Originally posted by Sakurahime View Post
          Yes, FoodieSam , those costumes get very hot, especially in summer! But Louie, you should be fine in one at a different time of year, even if the eye holes aren't great - every mascot that I've seen walking around has a sort of guide to show them where to go and which direction to pose in for the camera! I hope you've got some good Gundam poses ready if you're going to wear that!

I found my "weird mascot" photos. These two both happen to be an animal combined with food (which makes me think of Pokémon, but anyway...). You've got a dog-melon from Hokkaido in the right of the first photo, and below, the penguin with an octopus hat (actually, they're both animals, but octopus is also food). I can't remember where the penguin was from, unfortunately.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]n871[/ATTACH]
          wow those are some great mascots! But I love the cute penguin with octopus hat. haha so cute!

Comment

Working...
          X