X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earthquake advice?

Before I start, I want to say, I really like Japan. I really want to visit and eat the food and see all of the tourist spots and nature and everything. And although it won't put me off, I am a bit nervous about earthquakes. I know Japan gets them all the time, that they're prepared and mostly everyone's fine, but I can't help it. I don't have experience with earthquakes.
    I was thinking that I'd feel better if I knew what to do in an earthquake, and hear stories about people's experiences with earthquakes (maybe even outside of Japan, I dunno). So, what advice do you have? Have you been in an earthquake in Japan?
    By the way, I know a little bit, like to stay inside, and to shelter in a doorway or under a table. I don't know what to do if you're outside. I guess if you're in a shop they'll help you?

There is an app ! you can google it, it will notify you before the earthquakes so you can prepare for your self. In your place, ask your neighbors or any Japanese friends, they always HAVE A PLACE TO COME when earthquakes happen and you're outside ( they could be a park or a public place) check around and ask people there they will show you :"D

Comment

We actually get trained in Japan for earthquake disasters since we are in elementary school.
      They teach us that the most important thing is exactly not to panic. If an earthquake happens you should remain calm and think of protecting your head. At school they teach you should put your arms on your head to protect it (if you don't have bousaizukin a thick cloth that almost look like a beanie).
      After the earthquake stops there might be a fire going on so it is important to have a handkerchief on you so you can put it on your mouth and nose area so you don't breath in chemicals that can harm you. Especially if you see smoke you should use the handkerchief and walk in a low position (almost squatting) so you can avoid the harmful chemicals.
      My parents on the other hand always thought me to open the house's door so you don't get stuck in the house after the earthquake. Also, if you don't have tables or anything to hide under, or you can't make it to your house door, you can take as much cloth or even mattresses and put over you and find a corner in the house and stay there (I've seen this on Japanese TV programs). 
      You should always have a shelter kit at your house too so you have food, water, clothes, flash lights, toilet paper and so on for emergency.

Living in Japan for more than 20 years I've experienced dozens of earthquakes. But 90% of them were not fatal or anything. It is scary what we see on the news but I'm sure you will be ok. Just be prepared and stay calm. Natural disaster could happen anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by thatha View Post
        We actually get trained in Japan for earthquake disasters since we are in elementary school.
        They teach us that the most important thing is exactly not to panic.
        This is a very good post. I really appreciate your giving time to explain this to us as you're someone who's been there and it sounds like you've experienced a lot of earthquakes in Japan already. A friend of mine has been to Japan before and an earthquake was felt by the tourists. They were supposed to go to a nearby park when this happened and they really scrambled. As for the Japanese in the vicinity, they just kept their own business and not an ounce of panic was seen. The earthquake was just a minor one but it lasted for a few seconds. After that, the Japenese locals just continued whatever it is that they were doing as if nothing happened.

Comment

It's hard not to panic during such cases but the Japanese seem to be used to it. I've watched a Japan video before where there's a school near an active Volcano that gives tremors every now and then. It's still a mystery why they kept the school in that area in the volcano but the kids don't seem to mind. This is really a good practice for them not to panic especially with the people in Tokyo because it's overcrowded there.

Comment

earthquake is too much panic .during such cases country feel helpless.

Comment

Many people know Japan because of its earthquake reasons, people here are used to it but for someone who is not familiar with such situation may panic in case something happen near him. The key factor is to overcome your fear.

Comment

Working...
              X