X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tattoo Culture in Japan: Still Taboo?

My husband and I are planning to take a vacation with our kids to Japan when they are older. I was researching about onsens because I'd love to try lounging in one when we get there. Unfortunately, I found out that there are some who do not accommodate guests with tattoos. I have several tattoos from way back when I was single and one of them is quite exposed unless I wear a shirt with longer sleeves. Tattoos in my culture were taboo a long time ago but in recent years, a lot more people think it's merely an artform. In some cultural minorities in the country where I live in, inking and having tattoos are an ancient tradition. I watched Doctor X (doramas are my fave, too) last week and I watched an episode where a distinguished elderly nurse had a huge back tattoo in memory of her lover in her younger years whom she had a child with. Her lover was a gangster so the tattoo was like a tribute to him and her love for him. Nobody knew it was there, even her family until Daimon Michiko found out about it when she fainted. Because of my wanting to try out a traditional onsen, I'm now thinking twice because of that episode. Are tattoos really still widely taboo in Japan? Is it still associated to gang membership rather than an artform? And do I have to wear longsleeve shirts all the time when I'm there? I'd love to hear from anyone who's familiar with this topic.

Hey satsukimei! I have tattoos, too and one of them is a geisha.;) I got them during a quite emotional time in my life. But in my country, it's not really a big deal anymore if you have them. For me it's an artform and it also has historical influences. As far as I know, Japan hasn't really opened its heart to inking because of its reputation as a symbol of being part of gangs or the yakuza. I read an article sometime ago while I was researching about it, that their tattoos are not meant to be flaunted because it would lose its mystery and beauty and I think this reflects so much of the culture of the country. I also read that, the yakuza got their bad rep from journalism or today we probably would refer to it as social media. In fact, these groups also help out in the communities where they live in and take pride in everything that they do. I didn't get my tattoos to hide them but they have personal meaning to me and if I anyone asks me about some of them, I explain a bit about it. But if we're in Japan, I guess we just have to be a bit more cautious about their preferences as a way of respecting them. i wish I could send you a link of where I read this info but I couldn't quite remember where I read it from.

Comment

I understand what you mean. If you are going to use an onsen that is inside a hotel, then it should be okay as most hotels are not strict about letting other people with tattoos use it.

If you are going inside an onsen bathhouse, however, then they may still restrict you from entering. A lot of people are still fearsome of tattoos because it's still linked to the yakuza in Japan. I hope that they change this policy for tourists who are only visiting their country since outside Japan, tattoos are just an art form and is not an indication that you belong to a gangster group.

Comment

Hi Koohler and Ishigochan! Thanks for the inputs! I do hope they'll be more lenient with tourists because not everyone does extensive research on thinks like tattoos before travelling. We normally only research on where to stay, where to go, what to eat and the basic etiquette that we have to follow. But true, we just have to respect their culture. Do what the Romans do, they say.

Comment

Working...
        X