X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suicide Forest

Going on the dark side. One of the saddening thing about Japan is the Suicide Forest. We all have heard how good cultured and how cool Japan is. But unfortunately, one of the darker side of the country is its high suicide rate due to variety of reasons from shame, family problems, life expectations and pure loneliness. What they do in the Suicide Forest is that they tie themselves on a rope and tie the rope's other end on a certain tree and go to the deep side of the forest to kill themselves. The purpose of the rope is for someone to find their body or just in case they change their minds and not get lost on going back. The Suicide Forest is named: Aokigahara Junkai. It is found on the Flank of Mount Fuji.

I've read an article about this in the past and I think I saw a video about it, too. Suicide in Japan goes way back in their history during the time of the daimyo, when a samurai is ordered to take his life through disembowelment, seppuku or harakiri. They are ordered to go through with the ritual for serious offenses or they themselves do it because they feel that they have made a serious offense. They believe it's the most honorable way to pay for their "crime". It's quite sad that even until now, that kind of cultural trait has lived on and has taken the lives of people who could possibly have been helped by the people around them or could have forgiven themselves and could've done better in life.

Comment

There was a movie made centered around this Aokigahara Forest called 'The Sea of Trees', staring Matthew McConaughey, Naomi Watts and Ken Watanabe

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3450900/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_2

Comment

Working...
      X