X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan's Chikans

Chikans are what they call hentai or pervert. Westerners usually refer to them as Dirty Old Man.
    They look like normal people but on commutes their hands are restless and copping a feel on girls behinds.
    If you ever see one don't be afraid to call him out and say it loud that you are a chikan.
    That's because being arrested would mean getting shamed publicly with your name and face paraded on TV, getting fired on the job.

Hi minervasirius ! Wow! That's interesting! I hope Japanese girls and women get to be brave enough to call them out if they do something crazy. As a parent, I wouldn't know what I'd do if my daughter would be a victim of a chikan. I would of course report it to the police and sue. No matter how old they are, it's still harrassment and a crime so they have to be penalized. This is a great tip for those who're planning to travel there, too just in case. Thanks!

Comment

Chikan refers to any type of sexual assault in public. I think most of the time men do it against women. Living for a long time in Japan, Ive never had the experience of chikan.
      I think as long as you wear clothes that are not too reveling and look a bit intimidating (look like someone that would speak up if you are attacked) then you may be able to avoid it.
      It is never too much to be careful though.

Comment

Travelling around and being squished in trains, potential chikans felt alarming. But I didn't experience things like that. It is good to know that there are consequences for people like that tho. It is also safe to point out that people need to speak up if they SAW IT. Even if they're not the ones experiencing it. Because a girl can easily get intimidated. Let's all make each other feel safe with each other's company!

Comment

Working...
        X