X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying in a Ryokan

Hello, my wife and I are planning a trip to Japan later this year and a friend told me that to have a real Japanese experience I should stay at least once in a Ryokan. Has somebody stayed in one of these places,please let me know what you think, thanks

I really like Ryokan, because I can feel Japanese traditional style.
    Compare with Hotel, It`s more relaxed for me.
    What I like ryokan is Nakai-san仲居さん(Ryokan Hostess) are take care of you very much.
    They are greeting you when they arrive and leave, set up dinner in your room, making bed(making Futon) while you are in onsen( hot spring)
    So, feel like you became King or Princess.

Last edited by yoshi; 19th August 2016, 09:53 PM.

Comment

I like Ryokan also.
      Recently, Japanese house is getting western style, normally, doesn’t have Tatami room (Japanese style room) normally.
      Ryokan is a Japanese style accommodation, so they have Tatami room.
      So, It`s something different & special feelings for us also.
      I especially like ryokan`s meal system which called Heyadashi 部屋出し(they provide dinner at customer`s own room)
      The dinner is normally including Sashimi, Grilled fish, Tenpura, dessert etc.
      It`s gorgeous, you can eat dinner with Traditional Japanese sake if you like.
      You are in your room, so you don`t need to care about other customers, you can relax, enjoying chatting and drunken time as much as you want to.
      It`s best way to get relief from my daily life stress.

Comment

Oh my god that food looks so delicious Misaki , when I was in Japan recently it was just for a few days. I wanna go back one day and hire a kimono in Kyoto and stay in Ryokan so I can eat beautiful food!

Comment

From what I've read on the web, depending on the place you are going to visit I've heard that there are plenty of Ryokans to choose from. It would be best to check a travel website to choose the most recommended ryokans/hotels. Of course, choosing a ryokan in the most convenient location (near train stations, bus stops) will greatly help not only for the benefit of your stay, but also to help you visit the best tourist spots in the area. I would love to eat some of their authentic ryokan kaiseki courses as well as the feeling of staying in an authentic Japanese ryokan. I hope to visit Japan after a year or two for a short vacation!

Comment

If you want to stay in a Ryokan, the best hot springs are in Hakone. It's accessible from Tokyo by train. The easiest way is by the Romance car out of Shinjuku station. The town is known for it's very fresh wasabi, fish cakes, and beautiful wood carvings, and hot springs. It's a cute area. The best ryokan there is Yamanochaya. It has western rooms and Japanese style rooms with the tatami floors and low beds. Best of all, the rooms have a private outdoor bath. This will make it easier to enjoy the hotsprings with your wife without being separated in the gender separate public onsens. You may balk at the price, but keep in mind that this includes a delicious multicourse kaiseki dinner and breakfast course comparable to some of the Michelin star restaurants I tried in Tokyo. There is a hostess assigned to your room that serves all courses, adjusts the temperature of the water if you would like, orders spa services for you, or calls taxis. When I made my reservation, I said I spoke English, and the hostess assigned to us spoke excellent English. Most Onsens/Ryokans will not allow you to be in their public spaces with tattoos. This Ryokan is completely tattoo friendly. This was easily one of the best places I've stayed at and I wish I had stayed another night!

Comment

Working...
            X