X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slurping and other eating etiquettes in Japan

Since I have been visiting often, I have since understood that there are actions that other countries find rude or favourable in general.

For Eating habits, there are are some etiquette that Japanese people tend to observe. One of this is slurping your food or specifically the ramen. Although on some countries is frowned upon, Japanese people thinks that slurping it loudly is a connotation that it taste really good. A bib or apron is commonly offered in Ramen restaurant there because they assumed that you will like that food. It is a huge nod for Slurping. On the other hand, not finishing food and sharing them is considered rude in most establishment. There are even restaurants who specifically says that you can't share your food! Which is a problem for people who tends to eat in small portions.

This is really confusing for me. There are lots of eating habits that they listed where everything you do appears to be a sign of disrespect to the food. Then you'll be surprised one that's inserted there is that it's disrespectful not to slurp your food loudly. I mean what the heck. One of the most disrespectful things you can do in a restaurant is actually a good thing in Japan haha. Also, I'm not really sure about slurping my ramen in a restaurant because the last time I did that people looked angrily at me. I don't know why they did that. I just want to let the restaurant know how I love their food. LOL.

Comment

There is a lot of rules when it comes to eating a meal in Japan indeed.
      One of them that I can think of is that you shouldn't place hashis in the food you are eating. This is because once people cremate a dead body in Japan they pick some other (stone like stuff) with a hashi looking tool to gather with the ashes so it is rude to do something similar with food.
      Or you can't put your elbows on the table while you eat. Or you have to pick up the plate instead of just using silverware to being the food to your mouth ( I guess because there is a lot of small plates so if you pick up the plate, you wouldn't drop your food).
      You really need to learn this type of things so people don't judge you lol

Comment

Working...
      X