X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How different is Japanese hospitality?

I've been to other Asian countries expect for Japan, China and Indonesia and I'm just curious about the kind of hospitality the Japanese afford their guests especially tourists. I've read somewhere that it's called Omotenashi. I know other countries have different traditions and customs especially with visitors and patrons and if it's similar in Japan. The Japanese are not all English speaking so it could be tricky as how they try to communicate with foreigners and make them feel at welcome in their homes, hotels, Airbnb's, restaurants and other tourist destinations. I've watched from videos by vloggers online that it's tricky to buy food especially if the menu have no pictures and it's all in Japanese and no one in the restaurant can speak in English. Interpreters are helpful but some tourists tend to just walk around and try out whatever they like. So how did it really work for those of you here who've been there? Did you have a hard time going places because of the language barrier and was their hospitality any different because of it?

Omotenashi is indeed unique to Japan. It was the word that sold Japan to be host of the 2020 Olympics after all.
    The meaning of omotenashi stems from motenashi which means

1, The action of serving a customer
    2, The action of serving a customer without being two faced. (Truly be willing to serve the customer)

Omotenashi is different from normal services in that

1, It exceeds customers expectations or it betrays customers exceptions in a good way. For example, at a restaurant, when a waiter just give you a wet towel to clean your hands, that is considered service. Now, when a waiter give you the wet towel and talk to you like "otsukaresamadesu" (Thank you for your hard work) or if you are about to get in to bed a at hotel and you see a small message on the side of the
    bed saying please rest well, that is omotenashi.

2, When someone or even some company practice Omotenashi, they don't expect anything back or anything in exchange. This is one of the Japanese strength. In the USA or many other country, there is the culture of tipping someone when you receive good service. However, in Japan, that culture does not exist. That is because people
    who offer omotenashi service does not expect anything back. This concept does not only apply for services but also in normal daily life in Japan. When someone does something for nothing in exchange, that someone is considered mature.

It is also said that when someone wants to be able to omotenashi. The person has to be able to have time to think. So, that he or she can stand in the costumers shoes. It is important to have time on your own and be hooked on any type of hobby or activitity to be able to omotenashi. It is because when you are hooked on something that has no right or wrong results like philosophy, then you can be creative and patient about omotenashi.

For these concepts, Japan is unique in hospitality and it is one the beauty of Japanese culture.

Comment

• RonnieP
      RonnieP commented
      Editing a comment
      woaaa... this is very interesting information. I did not know this a Japanese culture at all. Sometimes I feel its too much "hospitality" that I feel they are faking with me...but seem not. so sorry for the misunderstanding >.<

I've noticed Omotenashi, too when I watch food vlogs and travel vlogs. I'm not sure if they're really being hospitable just because there's a camera rolling or because they really are just genuinely hospitable. It's like they always go an extra mile while serving their customers and when preparing meals, they always make sure everything is top quality and fresh so the customers will enjoy their meals and the service they provide. Everything seems impeccable, even presentation and packaging. I think they are really up in their game when it comes to serving their guests. They can be shy sometimes but they always politely answer questions and give their opinions about their food or their products.

Comment

Working...
    X