X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hate on Non-Japanese Speaking People

So, this is really something that I have always been torn about. Because Japanese are kind people, but I do have some experiences that makes me feel a little discriminated or hate on simply because I don't speak Japanese. From being rudely answered "No English!" repeatedly or being completely ignored by the establishments or simply feeling like you are not welcome or you are bothering them since they don't understand you.

I mean, sometimes, it is not even about if you can understand the person but about of the way they say things.

Are there non-japanese speaking people here who has been staying in Japan for a while now? Do you have any experiences similar to mine?

Yes I doooo !!! And I felt terrible too:'< my Japanese was bad so I am not so confident to speak Japanese to Japanese people. And, whenever I speak English they would try to avoid or ignore me ) I used to it. By the way, I think they have difficulty speak English so they are more appreciate if you can speak their language. Moreover, many Japanese people expected that foreigners can speak Japanese and they think that the way you show them respect:'/ I living 2 years now but I still using mainly English ) and use google translate! Good luck Sololevellingirl don't think too much >.<

Comment

I think this happens in a lot of places where a majority of the people don't speak another language fluently. When I was in Japan, the only time I experienced this was at the bar I worked at when a customer was very upset I didn't speak much Japanese. He had a point, but also, the owner hired me because she wanted to advertise it as a place where people could practice their English.

Comment

I agree that Japanese can have very little tolerance when it comes to a foreigner talking in Japanese.
        I was born and raised in Japan but my mother language is Portuguese and I speak English as well so even if I speak fluent Japanese (good pronunciation, grammar and honorifics), I find a lot of Japanese impatient to listen to me or even a bit rude.
        It is because I'm so used to speaking in Portuguese and English that I end up describing things the same way. For example, using passive is kind of unique for English and that is hardly used in Japanese language. So, if I speak the same way in Japanese as I do in Japanese, even though the meaning is there, Japanese can get rude and correct you or just be mean. I've seen friends and family go through this too.
        So I'd say, even if you are successful in transmitting the meaning in a conversation in Japanese or even if you are somewhat fluent (good pronunciation, grammar and honorifics), you can still be treated badly in Japan.

Comment

I felt the same thing when I entered some of the restaurants in Osaka. The majority of the people are nice but if they can't understand what we're saying, they get easily irritated. Either they're too proud of their language or they just find it a nuisance to try and make out what we're saying. I just keep telling myself that it's the latter. If I am a bit old and can't understand a word that the person talking to me is saying, I'd probably feel the same thing. Anyway, most of the time there's someone in the establishment who can understand English. Just try to look for them there.

Comment

Working...
          X