X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese Drinking Culture: Are they drinking too much?

Japanese people are generally known to be polite and formal.This is something that we generally observe when we are traveling. They follow their laws properly and they are just generally pleasant. Then come the night on areas that tends to close late at night or not at all. Starting 10 pm to midnight, you will see drunk people doing extreme things and photoshoots on empty street.

I have seen these in Osaka Dotonbori, Namba and even in Shinjuku and Shibuya. I've seen people shouting, making group noises and even people sleeping on the ground or being drag by their friends home totally knocked out. Its not even a one time thing and its fairly common.

So, don't you think Japanese tend to drink to much to the point that they can't handle it? And I've heard this is a usual routine of adult there. Why do you think so?

I guess it's in the Asians' genes to drink a lot Yep, I used to drink a lot, too when I was younger and in our culture when you're 18, either your parents, relatives or your friends will start teaching you how to drink or at least introduce you to alcohol. I started earlier than 18 because my parents were okay with it but I drink with them or my cousins in private because of course it's the only way I can drink that time. I've watched some movies and Japanese dramas and even vlogs about the drinking scene in Japan and what I can describe it as is they work really hard, they party even harder. They have breweries of their local drinks like sake and even beer and Izakayas are packed after work hours so I can safely say you can't really gauge if it's too much because it's quite similar to how I'm accustomed to. I mean for me, drinking too much is at some point normal and okay as long as you're not going to be hurt, hurting yourself or endangering others when you're at it. Drinking and getting drunk I think is also a social and cultural aspect and even if it's not something everyone can be proud of, it's something I still respect.

Comment

I don't think it's any different from people around the world who are getting drunk. At one time I was so drunk that I can't even remember how I got home. Then I when I checked my phone I have literally hundreds of pictures of other people on that street outside where I drank. And those people in my pictures, I don't know any of them! So I understand how those people would just take photo shoots on an empty street. They're just happy when they're drunk and do everything they want to, just like how any drunk people would do.

Comment

Hello, @Sololevellingirl I did work in an Irish Pub in the middle of Tokyo and I have to admit that drinking is a kind of Japanese culture:'/ So many Japanese drinks until they can not walk properly. But I saw that most of those people who drink most are the officers. I believe they had a tired and pressure day so they relax by drinking

Comment

I think nomikai (to go drinking with coworkers and friends) is a Japanese culture.
          To me it feels almost like an obligation to go drinking with your coworkers or even classmates from college.
          I think for Japanese it is a way to socialize and talk about your personal life when you drink.
          I struggled though college because I am a private person and I don't like drinking. So, most of the time I didn't participated in nomkais. Then, people would ask me if I had friends at all or why I am antisocial.
          To me this was a bit shocking because I shouldn't have to go drinking just to get to know someone. And when you want to open up to someone, I feel like you have to build trust first.
          And I never thought of myself as antisocial. But Japanese people really take nominais drinking seriously.
          So, for people like me, it maybe be hard to "socialize" in Japan. Some, of my friends that are girls told me they rather go home and rest and not drink with people they are not even interested in but they don't want to seem different or antisocial so they force themselves to go. Sometimes, they do over drink and feel like crap the next day and regret going to nomikais.
          I think with nomikai there is also the risk of alcohol abuse upon people that are not so strong at drinking.
          Nomikai can be fun and exciting but also a tough and strict Japanese culture for some people.

Comment

Originally posted by RonnieP View Post
            Hello, @Sololevellingirl I did work in an Irish Pub in the middle of Tokyo and I have to admit that drinking is a kind of Japanese culture:'/ So many Japanese drinks until they can not walk properly. But I saw that most of those people who drink most are the officers. I believe they had a tired and pressure day so they relax by drinking
            This is the one I think I am most surprise of! Since I am a traveling woman, I always make sure that I don't drink more than I can handle. I mean! It is fun to drink and all but maaaaayyybeeee not to the point where you can't walk!

Comment

Working...
            X