X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the rules when staying in a Japanese home?

Im going to Japan soon to visit a Japanese student who stayed at my place in Canada for 6 months. I will go to her parents place in Yokohama and I'm really excited about seeing her again. But Im also nervous that I might make some cultural mistake when Im in their home, things like do I take off my shoes etc.

Can somebody please give some advice about what to do or not to do?, I wanna make a good impression. thank you

Well, it`s better to bring something for their gift, It`s common to bring some cakes or some decent sweets or snacks (not from supermarket crap) which you can buy department store,
    Giving them some gifts make them good impression at first.
    And as you know, take off your shoes are necessary in Japan.
    Say ITADAKIMASU before eat meal, and say GOCHISOUSAMADE****A after meal.
    Even though, you don`t speak much Japanese, if you try to say it, I am sure they would appreciate
    your effort and think you are nice person.
    Just tell your friends and her family in advance, because of culture differences, you might do something strange action for them, and ask them do not hesitate to correct you.
    Don’t worry very much. Enjoy your Japanese home stay.
    I want to hear about the stories what happened after you came back from Japan.

Comment

thanks Nobita I will try to remember your advice, but I'm sure I will forget because I will be so nervous! I think that I must remember at least to take of my shoes, I think that would be very disrespectful to walk in their clean house with my dirty shoes

Comment

Working...
      X