X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there Chopstick Rules I have to know?

Im just starting to learn how to use chop sticks, someone told me that there are 'chopstick rules', things you shouldn't do with chopsticks, he couldnt give me any examples though, so maybe there are not any rules?

This might help you

Click image for larger version

Name:	chopstick manners.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	229

Comment

Wow, andy, it`s easy to understand.
      I did know the chopstick`s rules, but I didn`t know some of the name what it called.
      So, I relearned it.
      When foreigners are using chopsticks, I think it`s difficult follow all chopstick`s rules.
      However, You must not to do SASHIBASHI, HOTOKEBASHI, and HASHIWATASHI.
      As 3of them are related to Funeral and when people passed away.
      Worst thing is HASHIWATASHI, It`s only use for funerals, after burned body,
      Family and friends do HASHIWATASHI for pick up human`s bones.
      In Japan, Chopstick`s manner is highly regarded. So most of parents tried to teach chopstick`s rule to children when they are small.
      You might not believe though, even though who is working as a lawyer or something who has high level of job, if he or she is not good at chopstick`s manner, people are disrespect with them, but again, do not worry too much if you are foreigner.

Comment

This is super useful.

Comment

There are some rules I think that you don't have to be Japanese to know this:
          a. Don't use chopsticks to fight.
          b. Don't use it to poke a person's eye.

Comment

This a very useful guide on what not to do with your chopsticks when you're in Japan. Or maybe even when you're not in Japan but in a restaurant where you have to use chopsticks. The only practice that was taught to me and said to be very important not to do when eating is the Hotoke-Bashi in that picture. It said that this is very disrespectful and should be used to rest your chopsticks if you ever need to. This is because putting chopsticks on rice is something that would be done on death ceremonies or something like that. If you ever need to rest your chopsticks, just do it by sticking them together and putting them beside your plate/bowl.

Comment

Working...
            X