X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best things about karaoke

I would argue that karaoke is one of Japan's cultural icons, despite the fact that many people around the world have no idea that it started in Japan!
    I am a huge fan of karaoke in Japan, as it is different to most karaoke that I see in Western countries, which is in front of an audience. For anyone who doesn't know, karaoke in Japan is done in small rooms, like booths, with friends, family or coworkers. You can order food or drink using a telephone that connects to the front desk, and some places will have a "drink bar" where, after paying a little extra, you can help yourself to a range of soft drinks and even soft-serve ice-cream!
    I love the drink bar, and I love the places where you can take in your own food. The picnics I've had and birthdays I've celebrated while being able to belt out some ani-song (or anime theme songs)!
    Karaoke-lovers, what do you like about karaoke in Japan? Or maybe you prefer karaoke in other countries? I can't wait to hear from you!

I am a karaoke lover and yes, the Japanese way of having karaoke is definitely fun! Inside the room, you get to sing your lungs out without having to worry whether you sound bad. Haha! You also get to eat your food while it's still not your turn to sing. And, what better way to complete your karaoke session than drinking booze! Most karaoke bars offer all you can drink booze too. This is perfect, especially if you plan to stay longer than 2 hours. So, pick your favorite song and grab that mic. Karaoke in Japan is the best way to go!

Comment

*Ahem* when it comes to Karaoke I usually don't sing unless I'm drunk. My friends usually invite me to Karaoke places to eat, drink and sing my lungs out. Although my voice is not that great the experience of singing, drinking and eating with friends is always a great thing. I'd love to go and sing Karaoke in Japan, but as of now I can only read hiragana, katakana and a few kanji. Maybe after I get better in the language and find myself in Japan I'll visit one of the karaoke shops in the area and impress *cough cough* the ladies with my outstanding voice!

Comment

Haha the best thing about karaoke's is you can practice to your heart's content without being ashamed of your voice.

Comment

That is something I really like about the karaoke culture in Japan. When you're with a group they'll encourage everyone to have a go and join in, and no-one will say anything negative about your singing ability (at least, not in a horrible way, but it's usually drunk teasing...)
          I also like being able to find out the musical tastes of friends and coworkers, because it's not always something you find out the true depth of until you all find yourselves in a karaoke booth. One of my friends sings both rock-style music and Kyary Pamyu Pamyu!
          Keep practicing your Japanese, Louie! Singing Japanese songs is great fun (and also great practice!) My reading sped up quite a lot after doing karaoke.

Comment

When I arrived in Tokyo, I heard about Karaoke and read about it. One day I planned, with my friends, to go and experience it. I am very bad at singing, but my friends encouraged me to go and sing. It was enjoyable as no one was judging and all were enjoying. In addition to it, the best thing about Karaoke is that you can get foods and drink within your convenience.

I wish there should be something like Karaoke in India and other countries too. As this place will also help you to take out the frustration or stress by singing loud whole heartedly without being judged by anyone.

Here is the picture of Karaoke room in which you can see an aged man is singing and all are enjoying…

Comment

Oh yes, Akash Singh, I forgot to mention. Karaoke is a great way to relieve stress. You can sing something angry, or just something you enjoy, and all of your worries fall away. It's partly the fun, and partly just the power of singing! I do miss being able to do that on a regular basis.

Comment

karaoke and drinks, best to release stress after a long week work. also good for dates with private rooms, though transparent glass to prevent scandals. but heard that on bars with vip guests, it is really closed and no cctv inside karaoke room.

Comment

Karaoke is really fun and I appreciate it because it is a great way to reduce stress. I think it was created because everything is so organized and divided in Japan. I think you have to be very serious and concentrated while at work but then when you go to nomikai (drinking) or to karaoke with co-workers and friends you are allowed to loosen up, be as loud as you want and maybe perhaps complain about your boss or something you don't like. So in my opinion, there is a time and place to do a certain thing and you can hardly mix them up. This might be why Japan created this amusing way to deal with stress.

Comment

Has anyone gone to the chain where they offer costumes? I forget the name, and it may be a thing with more than one place, but it made for a fun drunken night.

Comment

Working...
                    X