X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romantic Confession in Japan

Don’t you find it amazing of how Japanese confess (Kokuhaku) their feelings? One of the things that I find unique in Japanese culture is of how respectful and unassuming they are with respect to confession. First, both genders can confess their feeling and they do it officially (I really find it brave) rather than assumingly. I also like how they celebrate Valentines (Girls give chocolates to whomever they like or thankful for) and White Day (guy’s turn).

I've heard about kokuhaku, but I didn't realise that it applied to a certain type of confession. I've only ever seen it in anime and dramas, so I figured that in real life it doesn't happen very often, or happens less dramatically. I certainly didn't hear about it when I was working in a Japanese school, but then again the school was quite small!
    I do think it's a positive thing that one specific gender isn't expected to confess their feelings and the other to just receive confessions. It's more honest, and fair and probably better for emotional health, I think. That's similar for Valentine's Day/White Day, although I dislike the fact that the initial pressure is on females to give chocolates. I also generally dislike the commercial nature of certain holidays, but oh well.

Comment

I've watched a couple of confession scenes in anime and read some of them in manga and light novels and in my honest opinion, I like the way they convey their message through love letters. Setting a date and time to meet with the person you like and confess to them on the spot, that takes a lot of courage. Then they will be nervous as they wait for the answer which could mean heaven and hell. Seriously~ If a cute girl confess to me I'd easily say "Yes! Let's Go Out!". Then we'll go on dates and deepen our relationship together. Unfortunately, real life is *cough* not so simple as it may seem.

Comment

Louie I get what you're talking about! I wish life or in this case, "love" is that straight forward. I really admire that about them. It was like, if you want someone, tell them, there's no point of asking why or what if's. It's healthy, direct, clean and no pretend. I hate how this generation puts an effort of not being the first, the first one to confess, not the first one to reply, etc. Now, it felt like a game of who ever invested first loses, I like the Japanese style better.

Comment

Oh, I see what you mean, now. Yes, that's something I've noticed in the UK as well - people who seem to think that "playing hard to get" is the best way to show your interest. That's never the best way to show your interest, because it looks as if you aren't interested! Go with confidence - now that's an attractive quality. Like I said before, it's better for not bottling up your feelings, either. Unrequited love sounds romantic, but it's not exactly a happy way to live your life.

Comment

Sakurahime Today, they keep on saying that "the best love stories are the tragic ones" which I don''t get because I find those really sad and frustrating. The way they see these relationship as if they're an observer disappoints me. It's like because of the phones and internet, being cowardly is in and being genuine is really bad. That's litterally going backwards. I do get the hate of the comercial nature of holidays though, it makes me wonder which of them gets to sell more in Japan, Christmas or Valentines?

Comment

When I think of tragic love stories, all I can think of is Shakespeare and Greek plays. Now that really is going back in time!

Comment

Originally posted by Mashiiro View Post
                Don’t you find it amazing of how Japanese confess (Kokuhaku) their feelings? One of the things that I find unique in Japanese culture is of how respectful and unassuming they are with respect to confession. First, both genders can confess their feeling and they do it officially (I really find it brave) rather than assumingly. I also like how they celebrate Valentines (Girls give chocolates to whomever they like or thankful for) and White Day (guy’s turn).
                I always watched in anime shows that their women gives chocolate to their boyfriend or a person that they like. White day, like what you said, boys turn to give chocolate to girls, is something I've never heard of. The first time I saw learned of girls cooking and giving chocolate to boys is on that anime Detective Conan. I was actually wondering about that, how unfair is that practice where it's only women who will give to boys but not the other way around or at the same time. So I guess it's alright after all if there's white day happening after Valentines day.

Comment

Find this amusing since in our country, guys are the only one expected to give something during valentines. It would have been great if they do it vice versa too!

Comment

Working...
                  X