X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tattoos

I have a question about tattoos. I've heard that Japanese people don't like tattoos or something, but I don't know why. Is it a cultural/historical thing? I know people in other countries can be wary of people with tattoos, but someone said that it's more than that in Japan, like they really don't trust you if you have one.
    I also want to know if it's a problem if you just have one tattoo, or if people don't like lots of tattoo specifically. What exactly will they do if they see that you have a tattoo anyway? Can you get thrown out of a restaurant or something?

For me when you think tattoos and japan, many would think about Yakuza or brothel girls owned by them.
    For me, tattoos are nice if they are small and made beautifully. No those covering almost the entire body.

Comment

I've read a few things about tattoos in Japan and some of them are not that good. Basically, if you're trying to find work in Japan it woulds be best if you don't have any tattoos in your body. There are even establishments where you will see the "no tattoo allowed" sign. Some Japanese describe tattoo as dirty, annoying, and a sign of being a criminal (yakuza material). Of course, that is only some of them. But for the most part, the Japanese are weary of people wearing tattoos and it is a deeply rooted within them. You just have to be patient because it is one of their culture, so again if you have tattoos and go to Japan, you need to understand that they have nothing against you. It's just the way they perceive things.

Comment

I see. So, tattoos are viewed as a criminal mark. Japanese people must seem so clean-cut to Westerners sometimes. Do you know how long this aversion to tattoos has existed? Has it always been there?
        This has made me think - a tattoo artist in Japan would mostly have yakuza as customers, right? It can't be a great way to make a living over there. It's kind of a shame, because tattoos can be really beautiful. Is that why all of those phone charms and bag accessories exist in Japan? To show identity and remember significant events instead of a tattoo or something? My friend keeps buying them online and I couldn't believe how many of them there are.
        And, would you be alright if you covered up any tattoos? And does anyone know the Japanese for tattoo? In writing, then I can read it on a sign, ha ha.

Comment

The russian mob have codes for their tattoos. Like a line or two means he has already killed one or two persons.

Comment

From what I understand, once in Japan (in Edo period) tattoo (called irezumi in Japanese) was seen as art and people understood its beauty. It could be used to distinguish professions (like fire fighters), it could be a symbol for eternal love (tattoos on fingers like we use rings in the modern day) and it could also symbolize amulets or charms (people had dragon tattoos because they believed dragon would make it rain helping them harvest food).
            Once, Meiji period hit Japan, tattoos were strongly banned. So, people stop having it. In Meiji period, only those who were convicted got tattoos (in their chin or face). This act basically marked people who had been arrested for the rest of their life even if they got out of jail later on. So, then people who had tattoo were associated with gangs such as yakuza or prostitution which was also related to yakuza.
            As old as it is, this concept still exists till this day. If you have a tattoo you are judged because it is supposed to symbolize that you are either a part of a gang or someone doing something against the law.
            And yes if you come to Japan, there are regulations you need to follow even if your tattoos has nothing to do with criminal intentions. For example, you can't go in to sento (a public daily bath), to the beach, to hot springs, or even use clothes that reveals your tattoo too much. Some places let you hide them with tapes but only if the tattoo is small enough. But a lot of places will demand you to be really careful regardless.
            In Tokyo, tattoo is more popular among young generation. It is a trend in fashion but I have seen how the young find it cool because some use temporary tattoos even with the society's prejudice against it.
            It will be interesting to see how Japan will deal with foreigners with tattoos in the coming up 2020 olympics. Maybe Japan needs to change the way they view it and give a chance to tatoos and see its beauty again.

Comment

I posted a topic about tattoos in this forum some days ago. I was concerned about their aversion for tattoos because I have tattoos and some can only be hidden under longer sleeves and I have plans to take a vacation there with my family. I suppose I just have to respect their beliefs about these things and just a find a way to enjoy my stay there without getting into trouble. And yes, I hope they'll have a more lenient policy especially for tourists because like me, I'd like to enjoy an onsen that's more traditional than the private ones inside a hotel. And if the weather is quite warm, I really don't like wearing longer sleeves. Pretty much the only thing I can do is cover my arm with a binder or something but that would be really weird in our photos and my kids would be like, "What's wrong with your arm, Mommy?"

Comment

• SpaceManatee
                SpaceManatee commented
                Editing a comment
                I think the only places you'd be restricted by your tattoos are in onsens and the workplace. For visiting, you may get some looks, but in Tokyo, it's not entirely uncommon to see people with tattoos.
            Working...
            X