• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fugu: Do you have the guts to eat it? (And not the poison-free ones)

    Fugu has been quite infamous over past years because of its neurotoxin which is around 1,000 times more poisonous than cyanide. Only chefs that have 3 to 4 years of experience preparing the fish and have received certification for preparing it can actually handle and prepare the fish to serve to customers. Several instances of poisoning have been reported all over Japan and other parts of Asia but daredevil foodies remain unfrazzled and unfazed by these incidents. Despite its notoriety, it has been one of the most famous and celebrated dishes in Japan and some people may have added eating it in Japan as part of their bucket list when visiting the country. Although there is a variety with no poison that is bred in Japan, still people would risk eating the poisonous kind out of curiosity and pride.

  • #2
    Well, I'm a risk-taker but this is one thing I don't think I'd want to eat just for the fun of eating. There are lots of other delicious food I can be trying right now, why start with the first one that might kill me. I think I'd try it when I'm old or something haha. I've read it in an article that there are already 23 people in Japan that died from eating this fish. I wonder what went wrong about it if this is a normal dish in their country. Maybe they didn't prepare it very well or it was undercooked?