X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Each city has its own specialty food

I love how each city in Japan is famous for a particular food, like in Fukuoka its pork ramen and Osaka its takoyaki. It makes it very interesting to travel around and sample all these different specialty foods. But not sure about Tokyo, does that have any famous food?

Yes, right! Each prefecture has something their specialized food.
    Well, it`s good question, I am living Tokyo, and wondering about this answer, ,
    Tsukishima is famous for MONJYAYAKI, TOKYO BANANA is famous for sweets.
    And Asakusa is famous for TENPURA, SOBA, SUSHI as well.
    Tokyo is metropolitan city, so basically, you can eat Hokkaido food from Okinawa food.

Comment

I've always found the specialty food phenomenon very interesting. I read that it started a while back as a way to encourage tourism, and it stuck around ever since. Some foods were almost artificially said to be a specialty of an area, but it doesn't seem like anyone is bothered by it. It helps a lot of people work out what to take home as an omiyage (souvenir). I love trying local food, from full meals to snacks and sweets. I actually have a favorite for each of these. For meals, it has to be katsumeshi from Kakogawa. It terms of snacks, sankakuage from Jougi temple in the Sendai area is the best - it doesn't seem much, as it's a triangle of fried tofu, but when you have it fresh with shijimi seasoning and soy sauce, it's so delicious. And for sweets, I know nothing better than Yatsuhashi from Kyoto, which also happen to be triangular! I love the fact that they can have to many different fillings, from fruit to chocolate and custard (and anko, bean jam). It's just a shame that they don't keep for longer...

Comment

Indeed, whenever I visit websites about the different prefectures in Japan there will always be a segment of their local specialty. It really makes you want to just travel around the country, eating the local delicacies and writing a blog about it. You can even list your top recommendations (restaurants, cafe, top local foods) and allow people to enjoy the same experience that you had while visiting Japan. Like this article about Teppanyaki in Ginza, it just makes you want to visit them and eat to your hearts content. Would definitely visit these places if I have the time. Among other things, I want to go to Hokkaido to taste their local specialties. I hear that their seafood cuisine is something to look forward to.
        Teppanyaki is one of famous Japanese cuisines. If you haven't eaten teppanyaki before, head straight to these 10 best teppanyaki restaurants in Ginza!

Comment

I agree, Louie. I need to visit Hokkaido. Apart from the food, it sounds like a beautiful place to visit (and a much cooler one in summer than a lot of Japan!). Saying that, I have tried some of the food at a regional food event in a department store. I love those events - it's like food tourism without spending so much time and money (but I did spend a fair amount of money anyway... )
          I should probably also make an effort to try Tokyo's specialties. I've not tried any of the foods that J Girl mentioned besides the Tokyo Banana (which are very good, and come with cool patterns 'printed' onto the sponge as well).
          If I could, I would travel around Japan and write about all of the food. It would probably take years, but that's okay!

Comment

Originally posted by J girl View Post
            Yes, right! Each prefecture has something their specialized food.
            Well, it`s good question, I am living Tokyo, and wondering about this answer, ,
            Tsukishima is famous for MONJYAYAKI, TOKYO BANANA is famous for sweets.
            And Asakusa is famous for TENPURA, SOBA, SUSHI as well.
            Tokyo is metropolitan city, so basically, you can eat Hokkaido food from Okinawa food.
            This is so amazing! I just realized that I always wanted to travel to Japan so I can see a lot of their heritage sites and have this experience of immersing in their culture for a bit which is really nice. Of course, there's always good food involved in all my travels to Japan but I never thought about visiting places for their amazing food. If I only knew that each of their cities has their own special food, I would've picked some to be a part of my itinerary and hope to at least taste one or two of their specialty meals. So far, I think I've only tasted the best of Takoyakis that Japan has to offer in Osaka since that's where we've been.

Comment

Working...
            X