X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the difference between Kobe and Wagyu Beef?

I have always been curious and confuse about this. I heard a lot of positive reviews about both but I'm not sure if Kobe beef is just a wagyu beef that was gathered from Kobe or is there really a huge difference? Which of them is more expensive and which of them would you recommend? Also, I want to learn about the meat grading in Japan (I only heard about this in the early episodes of Shokugeki no Souma), what was it for and how do they grade it exactly? I am just familiar with the American Standard grading, so I want to know if there's a difference. Any ideas?

well according to Google

So “Wagyu” refers to any cattle that is bred in Japan or the Japanese-style. Kobe beef is comprised of a very particular strain of Wagyu called Tajima-Gyu that is raised to strict standards in the prefecture of Hyogo

So basically any beef that is locally raised in Japan are called Wagyu beef, with the exemption of the cattle that was "raised with strict standards" from Hyogo. Having not eaten either of them, I can't really make a comparison. Although I'd love to act like an expert and say "Ah~ Wagyu is way better than Kobe because google told me so!". Alas, that is not possible. Can anyone enlighten us which of these two beef variety taste better? It might help us get some idea about the differences between the two.

Comment

Louie I didn't get to try it either although I planned to in April when I get to go to Tokyo. I just heard from a lot of the people I knew who traveled around Japan already raving about it and it's just either Wagyu Beef or Kobe Beef. Since, they are not exactly cheap, I'm wondering which one should I try. Yes! Hopefully, someone who had tried both will read this and will be able to describe it properly to us. I wonder how they "raised it whith strict standard" though. Like, the cattle has a specific diet plan? Do they have to kill it in a different way?Anyways, thank you for the additional information.

Comment

Working...
      X