X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No rubbish bins and nowhere to sit!

Why is it so hard to find a rubbish bin in tokyo, I just love carrying around my rubbish all day and when I get tired from looking for a rubbish bin there's no public seating to be found for a rest
    must be hell on older people!

why wouldnt they have trash cans, if they are too dumb to supply them, just drop it on the ground

Comment

I believe in the 1990's, the Aum Shinrikyo Tokyo subway terrorist attack hid canisters of sarin gas in the subway rubbish cans, so later the govt removed most of the cans to prevent another similar attack ... dont drop your rubbish on the ground, anywhere

Comment

yeah but the 1990's is a long time ago, about time they thought about todays people

Comment

That's really odd but I think it's also sanitary to not have rubbish bins just anywhere. I normally keep my rubbish in my bag and dispose off them when I get home or if I end up in a convenience store or restaurant or when I get to the office. When I'm shopping at malls, I really have to search for those bins if I need to dispose off anything. Public seating is important but I guess there are places where you can always sit like parks, convenient stores and al fresco restaurants.

Comment

Hello,
            Normally I would find some "combini", the convenient store I mean, to throw the rubbish. I think you should check around, go to the convenient store or to the mall ))

Comment

Originally posted by Tokyo Posts View Post
              I believe in the 1990's, the Aum Shinrikyo Tokyo subway terrorist attack hid canisters of sarin gas in the subway rubbish cans, so later the govt removed most of the cans to prevent another similar attack ... dont drop your rubbish on the ground, anywhere
              Whoa, that's something I've never heard of. Good to know they have tight security measures.

Nutcrackered, what kind of rubbish are you referring to if I may ask? Cause I can only think of food wrappers and the like that you'd probably bring somewhere while in Japan and that may be a problem. Japan doesn't practice taking eating food while walking you see. You either take it home or you eat it at the store where you bought it, so you'll most probably throw the rubbish at the garbage bins provided by the store.

The reason Japanese don't want to eat food while walking is because they find it kind of disrespectful not to eat your food right away unless it's really prepared as a take-out. The rest of small rubbish like candy wrappers etc. can easily be tucked in your pocket until you see some garbage bins.

Comment

Unless you are in a rural place in Japan, you can find trash cans at malls, public bathrooms, train stations, convenient stores and so on. Trash cans are not everywhere but this is what makes Japan so clean everywhere too. And this is one of the things a lot of countries admire about Japan. So, just find a place and throw the trash away.

Comment

Working...
                X