X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Train operating times

It's crazy to me that a place like Tokyo, which is definitely a 24-hour city, has such early times for their last trains. In Chicago and NYC, there are trains that run 24 hours a day, but in Tokyo, they are almost all done by midnight and some even earlier than that. I missed the last train a few times and had to stay up until 5:30 am to get the next one because I definitely wasn't gonna pay the high price of a taxi all the way back to Yokohama.

I was in the US around a decade ago and it was surprising to me that in Kentucky, the last trip of buses is at 5 or 6 pm. The bus driver who noticed that we were foreigners offered to wait for us while we walk around a small outlet mall. We told him it's okay if he needs to leave us there but he insisted because he said we'll have a hard time commuting there especially because it's a Sunday. So we were like, okay, you can come back for us in case you need to go somewhere else so you don't have to just wait. He agreed and said he'll be back in 30 minutes because he wants to go home, too. It's surprising that it's the same thing in Tokyo with their train schedules. It's probably okay in Kentucky because the population is a lot less. But in urban cities, I think it's important for transportation like trains and buses to be available all the time. From where I live, only buses (because we don't have trains yet) who go to the outskirts have early last trips but those who travel like more than 6 hours have night trips as well as day trips. Thanks for the tip, SpaceManatee!

Comment

Yeah, where I'm from in the US, we don't have all night public transportation, which is fine because it's not a huge city, but in cities like Tokyo, I would expect that.

Comment

I really understand with you! I used to miss the last train after working and I had to take a taxi to get home... it cost me a whole day's salary. Anyway, I saw many people sleepover night at the station because they missed the last train..hazxxx.

Comment

Yeah, I was always surprised at how expensive taxis are. I think they start at around 700 yen or something. Whenever I missed the train, I would just walk around and explore, plus there are a lot of 24-hour restaurants and bars. I did see a lot of people sleeping, too.

Comment

Working...
          X