X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angry Japanese Experiences

I've heard that Japanese people are really kind and helpful, and I'm sure lots of them are. But it's like a stereotype, and any characterisation of a group of people is never going to be completely right. I say this because I have a story to share that my friend told me (I haven't been to Japan yet).

She was staying in a guest house in Nara, and it was summer so it was really hot and humid. She only stayed one night, but she left her luggage there so she could spend the day exploring. When she got back, she really wanted a shower, so although she'd kind of booked out already, she saw no-one using and just went in. But when the owners found out they were really annoyed because there was a schedule for the shower and what if someone else wanted to use it? They didn't shout or anything, but she said that they were scary-disappointed. They were definitely angry, though. My friend left right after that, even though her bus wasn't due for quite a while...

That sounds extreme. How would the other guests know about the schedule if they don't inform them about it? I do know that Japanese people are very strict in following their own schedules but sounds like a petty reason for anyone to ger angry at a guest. No one's using it anyway. It would've been better if they just told that her about the schedule of whoever will use the bathroom so that it won't happen next time. Things like this are obviously unintentional and should just be taken lightly.

Comment

Japanese are really strict. But in this experience, your friend might also be at fault since she is already checked-out already? By then she is technically not a guest anymore. She could have asked first before using it. I don't think that is a good example of their bad attitude.

I do however, experience someone mumbling and clicking their tongue just because I accidentally step on their shoes when I stumbled backward. So, they are humans after all.

Comment

Working...
      X