X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to navigate around trains in Japan?

This more for giving information and some pointers on how to use the train as a traveller. For first timers, using train is a lot to process so here are some tips before you try to ride it:

Google Maps/Direction is your friend with respect to train schedule, travelling time and estimated cost. Thankfully, with the current technology, we can easily access such information real time. There's also free-wifi on the major stations and even shinkansens so that can definitely help you if you don't have pocket wifi.

You also need to make mental notes on what kind of train you are riding: we have local trains(stops on each stations) , limited express trains (stops as most used areas) , express trains ( slower than limited express but also skips stops), rapids (more like semi express), and shinkansens. There are also trams for selected areas.

Another thing to take note of are of which kind of train company it is. Japan has a lot of stations from JR trains to Tobu, Tokyo Metro etc.

And car type which is either green or ordinary.

There are still a lot of things to point out. For those who had been using the trains: what do you think is the first thing that first timers should remember with respect to commute?

Thank you for all the tips @travelmonkey I wish I have known this information sooner!!! After using trains for many many times I think, it's important to recognize or note down which gate in that station you need to go. In Japan, there are a lot of huge stations with many gates and lines (for example Tokyo Station, Shinjuku or Shibuya? or Ikebukuro Station) so that people should aware of which line? which gate? The time finding correct lines might be so much time-consuming if you did not read carefully the signs. The signs at station are quite helpful, they make a clear direction, right? So if you do not understand the sign, you can go to the staff station + use google translate. But I believe, Google Map is the most powerful tool to travel around Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by RonnieP View Post
      Thank you for all the tips @travelmonkey I wish I have known this information sooner!!! After using trains for many many times I think, it's important to recognize or note down which gate in that station you need to go. In Japan, there are a lot of huge stations with many gates and lines (for example Tokyo Station, Shinjuku or Shibuya? or Ikebukuro Station) so that people should aware of which line? which gate? The time finding correct lines might be so much time-consuming if you did not read carefully the signs. The signs at station are quite helpful, they make a clear direction, right? So if you do not understand the sign, you can go to the staff station + use google translate. But I believe, Google Map is the most powerful tool to travel around Japan.
      Totally agree with the gates! You can totally waste your time walking more than you should have if you decided to go in or out the wrong gates! That would be horrendous if you are also holding your huge luggage! Thank you for pointing this out!I forgot about this!

Comment

Working...
      X