X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Japan Rail Pass, is it Worth it?

I keep hearing about a Japan Rail Pass, should I buy one, do any others have experience using one of these? They seem quite expensive for a train ticket if you are not traveling all over Japan.

mexican lass I have just put an article in our article section on the Japan Rail pass.

If you are hanging around Tokyo, its probably not worth getting one, but if you are heading down to Kyoto/ Osaka and beyond, I would be looking at getting it. While a flight to Osaka might look attractive, you lose any time benefit getting to the airport in Tokyo and getting from the Osaka airport to your destination.

The Shinkansen leaves from central Tokyo and puts you right in the middle of most cities on its route and with train/ subway links just a short walk away from the Shinkansen station.

The JR Pass is valid for most local and national JR trains and ferries also

Comment

If I were you, I would definitely buy Japan Railway Pass.
      Not everyone can buy the JR Railway Pass, basically, It’s advantage of you are foreigner.
      So, why don’t you use your benefit!?

Some Japanese don’t go domestic trip because of Bullet Train is too expensive.
      I want to go to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima, Fukuoka etc, If I have JR railway pass.
      You can estimate your bullet train cost at here Hyper Dia, then you can compare with JR
      Rail way pass cost.

I am sure you will find out how convenient and cheaper way to have JR Rail way pass.
      You only can buy JR Rail way pass when you are in your country, you can’t buy it in Japan.
      Be careful about it.
      Last edited by J girl; 20th August 2016, 02:19 PM.

Comment

... thanks guys that was big help, looks like I will be getting one

Comment

Definitely worth it if you are staying for longer and you are planning to go around more than one prefecture! Right now, JR Pass has also been giving various offers like Hokkaido Rail Pass, JR East Pass, JR West Pass and the JR Pass which covers almost the whole country.

The one that is a best deal for me is the JR Pass but I would advice that you use it if you are planning to stay in Japan for more than a week. There you can enjoy farther prefectures without sacrificing the experience since each of the places are worth it to visit to!

Comment

I never got to ride the Shinkansen. I couldn't get a rail pass because I was a resident and it was so expensive to take one. I'd recommend it, though, if you're going many places.

Comment

Working...
            X