X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Unusual" travel spots?

There are a lot of well-known tourist areas in Japan, and they are honestly very nice. However, being so well-known means that they can get a little crowded, and there's only so many temples and shrines you can see before they all start to look a bit similar (or is that just me? )

I wanted to get some talk going about some of the more unusual or less visited places that tourists can go, not even necessarily remote areas, just less known really.
    One of mine is the lowest (now second-lowest) "mountain" in Japan. It is barely above sea level, but because of the Japanese rules about what constitutes a mountain, it can be officially labelled as such. Unhelpfully, I can't remember the name of it, but it's in Osaka, not far from the aquarium. Once you've been, you can go to a nearby post box-type object, place your details and some money inside, and receive a certificate in the post! They only deliver inside Japan, but perhaps your hotel will forward it to you if you're not visiting Japan for long enough?
    My second place is a tiny, almost hidden shrine in Sendai. If you walk along the covered shopping arcades, heading away from the station, you'll see on your right some colorful cloth and white rope that usually denotes a shrine. At first glance, it just looks like a shop, albeit one selling Buddhist/Shinto items like good luck charms and beaded bracelets. However, if you continue all the way to the back, you can find a tiny shrine. It's not usually too busy, and it's very convenient to get to, so I think it's well worth a visit!

Here's a little hidden spot overlooking the Seto Ohashi bridge near Okayama, you can pedal around while admiring the view! I might give it a go next time I'm in Japan

Comment

I think you can see most of the unusual places or at least places you should visit according to the locals here:
      http://tokyofromtheinside.com/54-mus...locals-part-1/

If I have a chance, Id like to visit all the districts of Japan to see them. But since, I can't do that right now, I'll just stick to seeing them in pictures (maybe if I became rich someday). Another unusual places I could think of were the places where some of the animes were inspired of since they usually take actual places as a basis of their drawing and it would be amusing to see the origin places of my favorite anime.

Comment

Speaking of "unusual places" have any of you heard about the "Ghost Island of Japan?". It's quite interesting but Japan has a few mysterious islands that are not well known and among them is the mysterious ghost island of Hashima. This island that is 15 kilometers away from Nagasaki has been quite popular as of late. It used to be a thriving island filled with a few thousand people mining for coal. When the coal mines were depleted the island was abandoned and it became a somewhat "popular" tourist attraction. If I remember correctly, some movie films were also staged on Hanashima Island because of its own unique charm and desolateness.

Comment

Louie One movie was James Bond Skyfall

Directed by Sam Mendes. With Daniel Craig, Javier Bardem, Naomie Harris, Judi Dench. Bond's loyalty to M is tested when her past comes back to haunt her. Whilst MI6 comes under attack, 007 must track down and destroy the threat, no matter how personal the cost.

Comment

Oh wow! I didn't know that part of Skyfall was filmed in Japan! I love all of the things I can find out in this forum
            My first thought for a movie that might be filmed here was Battle Royale though... never seen it, but a desolate island sounds like the right setting for it...

Comment

What is the name of that island full of cats?

Comment

minervasirius I am actually thinking of the same unusual travel spot. Haha! It's called Tashirojima, the Cat Island. I can very well see your love for cats through your photo Have you been there?
                I surely would want to see many Hello Kitties in just one location. Hehehe. Cat Island has been known to be full of cats that its population is double compared to that of humans in the island. Talk about cat life. Hahah. That one cat that was brought to the island was able to keep his duty of eliminating mice. Since then, cats have been in the area and now outnumbers humans. Does this explain why cats are considered to bring good luck and fortune in Japan?

Comment

^ Haha Yup. My family loves not only cats but also dogs.

Comment

Of course! Cat Island! I want to go there ^_^
                    That reminds me, though, there's a Rabbit Island as well, called Okunoshima. It's in Hiroshima Prefecture, but it's not that close to Hiroshima City. You have to get a train before the ferry. I don't know much about the history of why there are so many rabbits on the island, but they're protected now. You're not even allowed to take cats or dogs onto the island.
                    I know that the island was used to make poison gas during WW2, and there's a museum. That's quite a contrast to cute rabbits, but there you go!

Comment

Working...
                    X