X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will smoking be banned in Tokyo restaurants bars etc

In Japan smoking is allowed in restaurants, cafes, bars etc, this is a really big negative aspect about Japan that most visitors notice. Surely smoking will have to banned in these places while the 2020 Olympic games are on? Its good to see its being discussed anyway

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201608100027.html

Lets hope so, its not good and will give a bad impression, also I hope all Japan will do the same and be forever, not go back to same as now

Comment

They should get on with the times and provide a smoking-room for smokers. Smoking shouldn't be allowed in public.

Comment

Smoking is one of the things about daily life that I dislike the most. The fact that people can do it indoors is horrible - the smoke travels throughout the restaurant, rendering the "sections" they place people into completely meaningless. I've even heard of people smoking around pregnant women.
        I don't know how many other countries have banned smoking in restaurants, but I feel like Japan needs to follow suit. They usually seem pretty concerned with not imposing upon others, but any talk about cigarettes is usually about not holding it at children's eye level. They don't mention cancer at all.

Comment

Let’s hope that it to be banned before the Olympics. When I visited some restaurant, in the beginning it was good but with time, with people smoke, it became a suffocated environment and I even could not eat food properly.

So, I think that many foreigners, during the Olympics, will experience the same. For smoking people, a separate room should be arranged like smoking areas on roads as shown in the picture.

Comment

I sure hope they do! Personally, I don't like cigarette smokes and I stay away from people whenever they start to smoke. My nose is quite sensitive when it comes to these things since I often suffer from persistent coughs whenever I am exposed to cigarette smokes for a long period of time. When I go to a restaurant, I often ask if they have a no smoking area because as you may already know, there are people who can't help but light a cigarette because it has been a routine for them. I'm not against smokers, I just want to eat my food in peace without smelling cigarette smoke so I "sincerely wish" that they will ban smoking on restaurants during the Olympic games.

Comment

From what I heard many businesses are resisting this because they think they'll lose customers.

Comment

I know what you mean, Louie, smoking makes me choke like no-one's business. And speaking of business, I can understand why restaurants and so on might believe that they'll lose customers, but that's very short-term thinking. Pubs in particular in the UK were very concerned about losing customers - they were fine after a few months or so. People take a little while to adjust, but they'll always go back to an establishment that they've enjoyed going to before. Smokers can smoke outside or in the special smoking room - it's their habit, so they'll do whatever they have to for their fix. You'd have to hold a pretty big grudge against a business, when it wasn't even their fault that the no smoking law got put into place, to never go back ever again.

Comment

Government warning : Smoking is dangerous to your health.

Findings from many medical journals : Secondhand smoke is much more dangerous than firsthand smoke.

Comment

Smoking has now been banned in lots of places in Japan so I don't think there will be people still smoking in the events for the 2020 Olympics. Today, smoking is still allowed in small eateries. In recent years, smoking isn't the only thing that's become a public health issue. Governments are now also facing the problem with vapers. Vapers are not really the same as cigarettes because it doesn't have any nicotine. It's just water being evaporated with flavors. However, some vape may contain juices that have nicotine so that has now been banned even in Japan to be used in public places.

Comment

Working...
                    X