X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English Teacher in Japan?

As a foreigner, I found many of my other foreigners take a part-time job as an English teacher. This is one of the most familiar work for foreigners, right? I had added my profile on some websites, but I think there are too many choices for students or I am not attractive enough so I have never ever had an offer >.<
    Have you guys ever do this job before or have experience with this? Please share, I really want to hear from your thoughts.

Yes I believe it is a common part time job for foreigners.
    I don't know what type of website you added your profile and what you put on your resume. And I don't know hoe you look like.
    But I think, sometimes it has to so with your looks too. I think Japanese people associate English with western looking people. Like blonde with blue eyes and so on. I know it is such a stereo type but even if you look at commercials in Japan, they try to pick the most western looking people/ models to represent foreigners in Japan.
    I don't know why you wouldn't get picked but this is one of the reasons I can think of.

Comment

• RonnieP
      RonnieP commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, thatha. That quite makes sense Maybe I am not Western so they think am not good enough >.< but it's okay then I will find my way. Thank you thatha

I'm just curious. Is it legal for foreigners to take up part time jobs in Japan? Is there a certain Visa status that you have to acquire to be able to work part time legally? It's interesting for me because I might go to this route after I finish my masters degree. Well, I've been thinking about it for a few years now but not necessarily a plan yet. I know there are certain certifications that you have to take to teach English as a second language anywhere in the world but if I choose Japan, I'd like to know how it works and how to go through the legal processes to make sure I won't end up deported. That's scary.

Comment

• RonnieP
      RonnieP commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello, Kazehayakun I believe this is legal. As you said you're having a master degree now which means your Visa status suppose to "Student", right? The only visa status that not allow having a part-time job in Japan is "Travel" or "Visitor" . I think you should check some English Center, they also advise part-time jobs with around >1000yen per hour. This is the safest way to have a part-time job as an English teacher because they understand the laws and can be represented for you in case. Or if you do not want to work in the Center, check the internet because there are many websites for English Tutors. Good luck with this, don't worry just need to check the law carefully.
Working...
X